White Cake with Oreo Icing. **Not Gluten Free**
I love Oreos. So does the friend I made this for. Bonus.
I made the cake from scratch, but not the icing. Is that naughty? It’s good icing though. Very good. And great for when you have cake disasters like this.
It was supposed to be a cave/mountain with a dragon guarding some gold inside. Unfortunately the inside of the cake did not cook properly. Oops! So because I didn’t have time to remake the whole thing, I made another quicker, but equally as awesome cake. White cake with Oreo Icing.
I got the recipe from Allrecipes.
Simple White Cake
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×9 inch pan or line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth. Pour or spoon batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. For cupcakes, bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back to the touch.
For the icing I just crushed up a packet of Oreos and mixed it in with the pre-made Betty Crocker Vanilla Icing and then spread it evenly over the top and sides.
Overall, I thought the cake was nice, but I’m so used to the super light fluffy texture of the packet mix. So I now have an emergency white cake in the cupboard, just in case. If I was looking for a slightly denser cake, then I would definitely go with this one. But the main thing was, my friend liked it. So in the end, all was good.